Today, more than 1 million apps appear in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. Most of the apps didn’t obtain the success they deserved because of common mistakes they could have avoided. Every company is looking for mobile apps that satisfy their prospects the most. With a focus on the tech industry, you will learn the biggest mistakes that you need to avoid.
Weight up the Pros & Cons of creating an app for your tech company
The biggest mistake is also the most obvious. However, it is very common to see companies investing millions of pounds to develop an app that actually doesn’t bring any added value to the business.
There can be a lot of different reasons for your company to develop an app:
- To be connected to a product you offer. Samsung has for example lighting devices, smart scales that work with their app.
- Improve your customer service. Some banks apps include a direct contact with a personal adviser.
- Improve your website navigation on mobile. Amazon has transformed their website into an app format to offer an adapted product and service experience.
- To increase your brand experience. Ikea offers its augmented reality experience to fully emerge prospects.
Investing in a mobile app is not always compulsory and could be a waste of money.
Make sure your app design is suitable for your sector
As for your website, you must pay special attention to your app design. It is an extension of your business so it should always reflect your professionalism and credibility.
The key rule is to keep a certain consistency between your website and your mobile app.
In a competitive market, make sure your app design is aligned with your competitors and your sector.
Don’t forget to consider app development costs
Developing an app is costly and is worth it as far as it has sufficient users and/or generates leads. Apps associated with a product or service should always be free. No one likes surprises, your clients would be unhappy to discover that they have to pay for an app in order to use a device or service they purchase from you.
Thus most of the companies develop free apps to be used with their device or service. In this situation, they must consider the cost of the app with the opportunities this app might generate.
Be careful, the cost of the app doesn’t only include the development but also includes future updates and bugs fixes. If you never update your app or fix bugs, your clients may leave negative reviews for your inability for your brand to stay relevant.
Complex software or websites must be rethought for mobile apps
When you want to do a porting of your existing software, you must take into consideration a new ergonomy. Therefore, you won’t be able to simply transcript a software. You may also have to delete some functionalities if they aren’t adapted to the mobile experience.
The ergonomy must be reworked to offer a straightforward experience to your users. This rework will be an investment that you have to take into consideration before deciding to do a porting.
The Adobe Photoshop app is created to do small photo retouching. It’s less complicated that the software you have on your computer.
General mistakes that could apply to any sector as well
The four previous mistakes were specific to the tech sector. However, there are some general mistakes that every sector must avoid including tech companies.
- Developing mobile apps for multiple platforms. We recommend launching your app on one platform. Once everything works perfectly, consider developing other versions to satisfy every smartphone users. Of course, this would not apply if you sell connected devices.
- Ignoring negative feedback. Your app reviews can make your success or your failure. This must be one of your key point of attention.
- Expecting an instantaneous return on Investment. Developing an app is a long-term strategy reinforcing your brand experience and credibility when done wisely.